The Iron Way: Railroads, The Civil War, and the Making of Modern America with Yale University Press was released in September 2011. The book has been named:
- A 2012 Lincoln Prize Finalist from the Gilder Lehrman Institute of American History
- The 2012 Winner of the New York Book Festival in the History category
Reviews of The Iron Way: Railroads, the Civil War, and the Making of Modern America (Yale University Press, 2011).
- Eric Rauchway, “A Bend in the Track,” Times Literary Supplement, June 8, 2012.
- Wes Vernon, in The Washington Times, May 8, 2012.
- Charles Stephen, in The Lincoln Journal Star, March 11, 2012.
- Elizabeth Varon, in Civil War Monitor, October 26, 2011
- Bernard Kempinski, in U.S. Military Railroad Blog, February 9, 2012.
- Kevin Levin, Blog post, “The Future of Slavery,” Civil War Memory, November 25, 2011.
Reviews of The Civil War on the Web: A Guide to the Very Best Sites (Scholarly Resources, 2000)
- David Oshinsky, “Web Sites with Civil War Lore are as Popular as the Battlefields,” The New York Times, November 20, 2000.
- Julie L. Holcomb, Journal of the Association for History and Computing, September 2002.
- Paul Horton, The History Teacher, February 2001.
Reviews of Lawyering for the Railroad: Business, Law and Power in the New South (Louisiana State University Press, 1999).
- Frank G. Queen, Southern Cultures, 6.4 (2000).
- Steven Collins, Law and History Review, Vol. 20.2 (Summer 2002).
- Harold Hyman, Journal of Southern History, November 2001.
- Florida Historical Quarterly, October 2001.
- American Historical Review, June 2001.
- Journal of American History, March 2001.
- Christopher Tomlins, “How to Succeed in Business? ‘The first thing we do, let’s hire all the lawyers,'” Reviews in American History, September 2000.
- Journal of Illinois History, Autumn 2000.
- Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, Fall 2000.
- Richmond Times-Dispatch, July 23, 2000.
- Virginia Quarterly Review, Vol. 76, No. 2.
- Business History Review, Summer 2000.
- Register of the Kentucky Historical Society, Summer 2000.
- Georgia Historical Quarterly, Summer 2000.
- William Childs, H-Net Reviews, June 2000.